Come learn about, then tour The Waterworks Building on Saturday, May 4, 2019. The program begins at the St. Johns County Library Main Branch where there will be a presentation about the building’s history by Jenny Wolfe, the city’s Historic Preservation Officer. Immediately following the presentation, attendees will be led on a tour of the Waterworks Building located adjacent to the library.
The Waterworks, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1898 as the pumping station for the city’s first water utility and remained in service until a new water plant opened in 1927 on West King St. The site was then developed into Davenport Park and the building continued use as the Little Theatre, then a home for the St. Augustine Arts Club, and later as the St. Augustine Garden Club.
Those attending should wear comfortable clothing and shoes appropriate for the tour as the Waterworks Building is still under construction and is not air conditioned.
The tour is Free. Space is limited! Registration is required by calling the library at 904-827-6940.